DELIVERANCE - RIVER DISTURBANCE (Legends Remastered)
(*NEW-White Vinyl, 2018, Retroactive Records)
Title: River Disturbance (Legends Remastered)
Record Label: Retroactive Records
Product ID: RRV1460 WHITE Vinyl UPC: 656165850860
Product ID: RRCD1459 CD UPC: 656165850969
Packaging: CD 12 Page booklet with lyrics / Vinyl 12” Insert with lyrics
Release Date: August 21st, 2018 (at the latest)
- First time ever on vinyl (white)
- Limited to just 300 units
- Powerful progressive heavy metal for fans of Queensryche
- Classic Deliverance line-up
- 2018 reissue of 1994 release
ABOUT THE ALBUM
Truly transcendent music is rare. Music that is incomparable, matchless, peerless, unrivaled, or inimitable is a very short list. Many artists strive for transcendence, but a precious few ever accomplish it. Starting out originally as a speed metal act with influences of Metallica and Slayer shining brightly, the band’s fourth album, Stay of Execution, signaled both change and growth in this epic metal band! This new sound was most noticeably embodied by vocalist Jimmy P. Brown II altering his vocal style singing much more like David Bowie and Saviour Machine’s Eric Clayton. The vocals fit the newer direction musically and with 1994’s River Disturbance, unleashed a new level of brilliance for Deliverance fans as they progressed into 1994 and beyond! A timeless album filled with haunting melodies and powerful metal music, River Disturbance ascended to new artistic heights. The title track is a tour de force of songwriting and arrangements. Melancholy and strong, with deeply introspective lyrical elements, River Disturbance is a prayer for inner peace with music that is melodic, dark, beautiful, and pummeling! The apex of this album is the 7+ minute almost Queen-like ballad, “You Still Smile”. Dedicated to the wife of Jimmy P Brown II, this revealing look into the heart of an artist is powerful and beyond memorable. The piano elements (Gene Eugene) are rich and lush, which provide the stitching that holds this tapestry together. River Disturbance is THE quintessential mid-period Deliverance album. It’s progressive heavy metal, but much, much more. River Disturbance was transcendent in 1994, and it will remain transcendent in the decades ahead. This is Jimmy Brown’s Sgt. Pepper....his Operation Mindcrime....his Ziggy Stardust! This is art of the highest order. Recorded by Gene Eugene (Adam Again) and Produced by Terry Scott Taylor (DA) the band stretched themselves like never before and fans were richly rewarded! The 2018 Retroactive Records remastered (by Rob Colwell of Bombworks Sound) reissue is part of the Legends Remastered series and features enhanced original artwork, band photos, and lyrics. The CD is packaged in a jewel case with a 12 page insert, and the Vinyl comes with a 12” insert and WHITE Vinyl! Both CD and Vinyl are limited to just 500 units each!
- The River Disturbance budget was over $100K...the largest budget Deliverance ever had, by far!
- Although they didn’t appear on the album cover art, Jon Knox and Jon Maddux were part of the recording team along with Manny and Jimmy... the same team as the Learn album... Jon Maddux had already left the group, but wanted to finish the recording with the band! And Jon Knox was under contract with White Heart, but was eager to record the album as well.
- The band recorded 12 songs and 9 reels of 996 2 inch tape! “U Still Smile” had a choir of Jimmy with 15 vocal tracks for all the backing tracks! They had to be recorded separately and flown into two tracks stereo.
- Gene Eugene played the epic piano track in only 2 takes!
- The lyrics to “Breathing Still” won a national Poetry contest that same year.
- The album River Disturbance generated over 1000 hate mail letters sent by fans of the thrash era of Deliverance!
- “After I Fell” charted on CMJ for over 10 weeks!
- The album opened the door for Deliverance to play at Ichthus Festival in Kentucky where they opened for Andre Crouch and DC Talk.
- The Official RD tour “95 Spring Fling” Tour was the most commercially successful tour of the entire Deliverance history.
- Jimmy Brown co-produced the album with Terry Scott Taylor, and it would lead to him producing many more!
After I Fell 4:22
River Disturbance 6:36
Now & Then 4:33
Speed Of Light 4:54
A Little Sleep 3:44
You Still Smile 7:06
Breathing Still 8:01