DAVID ZAFFIRO - SURRENDER ABSOLUTE (*NEW-CD, 2020, Retroactive Records)
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
ABOUT DAVID ZAFFIRO SOLO ALBUMS
"Nobody Knows" (from Yesterday’s Left Behind) is the best song Zaffiro has ever produced....with words that are deep, profound and very convicting. It’s one of the sweetest little guitar riffs any musician has ever played.
Cross Rhythms Magazine
Zaffiro's amazing speed and the superb cleanness of his style will be a great delight to anyone who really appreciates truly excellent electric guitar playing.
Rex Carroll - Whitecross & Rex Carroll Band
Zaffiro’s songs are laced with plenty of hooks....drawing the listener in and making the listening experience more enjoyable. David is one of the better vocalists in the metal industry.
Christian Molten Metal Bands Reviews
"I See Red" (from The Other Side) takes off to an edgy metal flavored guitar riff that quickly propels it to a chorus with a good catchy hook. Zaffiro is once again on top of things with several seconds of spirited lead guitar work.
Angelica Warlord Reviews
The AOR format allows Zaffiro to add more flash in the guitar work...something that he did only sparingly with Bloodgood.
Scott Waters / NoLifeTilMetal
The Other Side closes with “Spirit of the Lord” ....an atmospheric song with haunting piano frills....
Mark Allan Powell / Encyclopedia of CCM
ABOUT THE ALBUM
Some things really take us by surprise. We just don’t see them coming. We don’t expect what our eyes actually see, and it makes the experience absolutely mesmerizing - like the moment in Terminator 2 when you realize Arnold Scharzenegger is a Terminator, but the GOOD GUY! Or, the moment when your loved one says, “Go ahead honey - buy them all - we can never have too much music!” Or, the fiery moment the next morning when you remember you ate some hot peppers the night before - uh - well, maybe not that so much, but you get the point! Tantalizing surprises are the spice of life, and boy oh boy does Bloodgood guitarist David Zaffiro give us four elite reasons to be dazzled and delighted with his solo albums. Known for his renown axemanship with the iconic Christian metal band, Bloodgood, Zaffiro treated fans to four of the finest AOR / Hard Rock albums ever released in the Christian rock scene. Indeed, these albums are far from the metallic juggernauts he played on with Bloodgood (their first three albums). But each of these four albums is essential ear candy for even the most discriminating rock music connoisseur. One listen and you realize the padlocks were cut loose from this master guitarist’s hands and you have been magically ushered into glorious riffing with feeling, with intensity, with skill and precision. The lyrics are filled with hope, conviction, and transparency - including life lessons and insights free of lectures or preachyness. And, the instrumental tracks remind us of three important words: WOW WOW WOW. Great words, right? The instrumental tracks show Zaffiro with all the skill and talent of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. Yes, it’s that good! That brings us to the most tantalizing surprise of all - Zaffiro’s vocals! With one of rock and metal’s finest vocalists in Les Carlsen leading Bloodgood, we could have never guessed there was a world-class vocalist hiding in Zaffiro’s slight frame - but it’s absolutely perfect for AOR, rock, and hard rock. These four Zaffiro CD reissues are international treasures with the finest of musicians filling them out from top to bottom. All have been digitally remastered and include eight-page inserts with lyrics packaged in jewel cases. If you slept on these classics in the past, now is the time to make things right - these are top-shelf reissues for collectors who care about quality of packaging and sound. Get all four CD remasters now!
- Lead guitarist for iconic Christian metal band, Bloodgood (first three albums)
- Award winning producer for classic albums from Whitecross, Holy Soldier (debut), Broken Silence, Zion, and Brett Williams
- 70’s/80’s Christian AOR classic rocker Randall Waller (Avion, solo on Tunesmith Records, recorded with Mutt Lange) handles vocals on Surrender Absolute
- Surrender Absolute features three too-hot-to-handle instrumentals cut from the same cloth as Steve Vai and Joe Satriani! Must-hear material.
- Yesterday’s Left Behind features a particularly interesting instrumental called “Bottle Tap” on which the guitars are made to match the sound of a bottle spinning on a table. And, hammers home a fascinating rockin’ Texas blues number with plenty of flair!
- Yesterday’s Left Behind includes“The Winds of September,” featuring Holy Soldier’s ex-lead singer Steven Patrick on what sounds very much like the final Holy Soldier song he may have wanted to do! It’s brilliant.
- In Scarlet Storm features “He’s Lyin’ to Ya,” an appropriately melodic rock screamer about spiritual deception
- The Other Side starts off with two AOR barn burners, with “Stay” and “I See Red” which sound like they could have been on an Idle Cure or Winger album
- Part of the exclusive Retroactive Records series, Legends Remastered Series
DAVID ZAFFIRO - SURRENDER ABSOLUTE (1992)
- "Find My Way" (4:03)
- To the Heavens" (4:15)
- "Carousel" (4:14)
- "Silas and Serai" [instrumental] (5:15)
- "In A Box" (4:05)
- "Attitude" [instrumental] (3:56)
- "Calling Out To Me" (4:47)
- "Surrender Absolute" (3:56)
- "Every Little Thing" (4:17)
- "No Long Goodbyes" [instrumental] (4:58)